I have always loved Dogs Today,they have such interesting articles.It's very difficult regarding Leptospirosis because if rats have urinated in an area,and you or your dog come into contact with it there is a risk.Rivers,streams,farms in fact many areas rats can be found can be a risk,and a danger to both animals and humans.Skip has regular contact to all of these places,so I would be scared if he wasn't vaccinated,yet worry about vaccinations too.Dogs who go into kennels must have an up to date vaccination certificate,so it's a very confusing situation,yet horrendous if our own dog was one of the unlucky ones. Just checked Skips vac card from December,relieved to see lepto 2.
Post by Pawsforthought on Mar 4, 2015 18:57:22 GMT
migsy, we're going to investigate the lepto nosode and probably start using it the thing that sways me more towards the anti vaccine side on this one is the fact that most dogs shed the vaccine after weeks, so the possible dangers of the vaccine don't seem worth it to me. Apparently we're in a lepto-affected area, so far no one has become ill and they squelch around in all the most disgusting mud and puddles!
The annoying thing is, the disease is horrible and dangerous, but so is the vaccine, potentially. You're damned if you do (vaccinate) and damned if you don't :/
I do know someone who has been using nosodes for a number of years and he hasn't had any problems, so I do find that comforting.
YourDog forum member since Friday, 27 March 2009 23:47
When I was doing research into the rabies vaccine last year, I read an interesting article about dogs becoming immune purely through light environmental contact (aka not actually getting bitten!) to that and other diseases. I wonder if that can happen with Lepto too.
Hi All, Just thought I'd share my experiences regarding vaccinations, our dog 8 year old labradoodle Lolli, has just had her annual booster jab, and lepto 4 was the one she had. She's had an adverse reaction to this new booster, she's ok on the lepto 2. Her reaction to the jab was, lethargy, the loss of fur in clumps around her rear end, really sensitive to brushing of her coat around this area and a tender belly. Following research on this site I've requested the vet submits an adverse reaction report, which hopefully they will do. Also have done the VMA/ defra notification. The vet seems to think this reaction is nothing to do with the vaccination, and that our dog is suffering from another ailment, however the shedding seems to have slowed down and the sensitivity seems to have subsided. Jst thought I'd share these symptoms with the board as these haven't been mentioned yet!
Hey there, thanks for the info! If your vet won't report the adverse reaction, you could ask a different vet to and seek advice from them? Glad to hear the symptoms seem to be subsiding, hope she returns to normal soon.
Thought I'd share this with you all. A month ago I took my 2 year old Labrador for her yearly booster shots. When I got to the vets they explained that her boosters were changed for this year and included a new vaccine for Lepto, they explained it wouldn't cost any extra so naturally I went along with it. Two days later my dog collapsed in the kitchen, she was off her food, off her water, couldn't walk a few steps without flopping down and when I touched her stomach she bit me. I rushed her back down to my vets who said it couldn't possibly be related to the vaccine as the timescale was too late. They said she had an inflammed stomach and a infection. They gave her antibiotics, painkillers, antisickness shot as well as tablets to bring home. All for the tune of £150 On Tuesday I took her for her 4 week follow up booster and once again today she's collapsed with the exact same symptoms as before. By now I was furious. Went straight to the vets (luckilly our vet is brilliant) and told me to give her all these medications and he agreed that as it's happened again it is related to the vaccine, most likely a severe allergic reaction.
He's put it on her notes that she's not to have that vaccine again. I'm furious. I'm contacting the head office and will be seeking legal advice as I think it's scandalous £300 to treat something caused by a vaccine in the first place.
So just warning anyone else who's getting boosters to be wary and if your dog has it please watch them carefully for any unusual symptoms upto 48 hours after the vaccinations.
I know this is an old thread but this thread led me here from Google whilst trying to figure out why my lovely mini yorkie was showing some unusual symptoms right after getting his booster shot (Nobivac L4) on Saturday. A normally happy friendly dog, suddenly withdrew from everyone, went into hiding and started licking his paws excessively. He wouldn't come out or eat/drink. The licking was constant and you could tell he was in some form of distress as he was making sad noises.
My research showed that over 2000 dogs in the UK have died from the side effects of this vaccine, yet nothing seems to have made the manufacturers change anything. When I rang my vet to tell her this and she replied, "well millions of other dogs are still alive, we use this vaccine everyday with no problems and each dog is different, there's not much we can do. Plus people overeact when they read about stats, etc" - not quite the answer I was expecting. Am I right in thinking these vets do not care, and that the lives of those 2000 dogs dead from Nobivac L4, do not count?
Thankfully, 48 hours of panic and care later, my dog seems to be getting back into his normal self but I am still reeling. What is the best substitute annual vaccination out there? As a newbie, I am open to trying the best suitable and perhaps even homeopathic options available if anyone knows of any. Thanks for reading.
The manufacturer will do nothing unless any adverse side effects are reported, therefore the first thing I would say is can you approach your vet again and insist that your vet reports back to the manufacturer that they have had a dog with adverse reaction? If they will not then can you ask them for the information how to report it yourself, i.e you are not going to let this go!
I think someone on here implied you can report it to a government body too (think Defra)as they are the ones who license the drugs that can be used in the UK. i.e they have the ability to ban it if there is enough evidence that it is not safe!
As for vaccinating again, I would seriously question this with your vet (or another vet who might be impartial). Your dog has had a reaction and so personally if I was in your shoes I would not want my dog having that specific vaccine again! You can always ask what the local risk of Lepto is in your area, i.e does you vet see lepto cases as this may help you decide what is best way forward for your dog (where I live they do). If you really do want to vaccinate for Lepto you could always ask if your vet still stocks L2 or a different brand of L4. Sometimes one brand of vaccine suits some dogs better than others! There are Titre tests but the vet I use is not encouraging over the one for lepto.
The vets are given a guideline I think from the British Small Animal Veterinary Association regarding vaccinations. My understanding is core vaccinations (parvo, distemper etc) are every 3 years and non core (lepto, KC etc) yearly. However dogs should be healthy when vaccinated so vets should not blindly vaccinate regardless! There is question as to if the core vaccines last longer than 3 yrs so maybe in future this regime might change.
Last Edit: Sept 6, 2016 18:34:05 GMT by caz2golden
caz2golden: The PC is still playing up so back when it is working would be best description
Aug 30, 2018 19:43:48 GMT
caz2golden: Another day where rain stops everything, I know I moaned when it got too hot, but this miserable weather is sending me round the bend!
Sept 8, 2018 12:35:33 GMT
scallywag: Ooo we had a lovely weekend weather wise , sorry you never , did that mean no work for you Caz ?
Sept 10, 2018 10:04:46 GMT
caz2golden: Both scallywag. I have been stood down at least once a week for last few weeks and had a few dismal days off too. Looks like tomorrow will be a wash out (due to work) and my next days off are when ex hurricane Helena is due to arrive
Sept 15, 2018 18:17:31 GMT
caz2golden: At the moment in middle of 5 days on, 2 days off, 6 days on, 1 day off, 5+ days on. This time of year though always lose a few days to weather. Grabbing what I can while I can, after-all I can have a break come mid Nov!!
Sept 15, 2018 18:22:12 GMT
scallywag: Un predictable then ? No luck with another job ?
Sept 15, 2018 18:26:17 GMT
caz2golden: I really should be looking! Problem is I enjoy what I do, just a shame it does not pay enough to live on!
Sept 18, 2018 16:34:25 GMT
scallywag: Shame . Enjoy it whilst you can , your a long time couped up in an office again
Sept 18, 2018 20:41:56 GMT
caz2golden: If only you could see the view from my place of work, no one would swap it Storm Bronagh has stopped work today! Could I cope being back in an office now !! I think I could get cabin fever! Then again to be dry, not too cold or hot is appealing!
Sept 20, 2018 19:55:17 GMT
Gillykat: I think I'll order some of those worming tablets for myself!!! Nemo has been bouncing around like Tigger on speed since I dosed him!!!
Oct 4, 2018 8:07:07 GMT
Oct 7, 2018 17:11:45 GMT
scallywag: Anyone listening to me ? i said hellooo days ago
Oct 10, 2018 22:48:56 GMT