I read about this on another dog forum and in todays Daily Mail.A six year old Cockerpoo found the owners bin which had just been emptied so not yet cleaned and had blown over.It licked traces of food and within minutes it started to suffer fits and struggled to breathe.It had developed a potentially deadly toxic shock syndrome caused by mould which had begun growing on scraps of mouldy bread,also grows on cheese and pasta and wallnuts.The owners other dog also suffered and sadly had to be put to sleep,both had to be put into induced comas. Not only are these bins a danger to pets,but any animal scavenging as they pass by.
I had read something similar on local facebook group where a post had been shared. Assuming it is the same case as it involved two dogs having to be put into induced coma.
It is shocking and very sad.
Shows the importance of regular cleaning of the containers!
Most of our food waste goes on compost heap. Dad does not like idea of the food bins on a hygiene level so we have never used the one that council supplied! We are bad but it is the only recycling we do not do!
I just read your posts regarding that fatal incident. Really feel sorry for those dogs who need to be put down because of that. Sometimes we realize what we could have done in order to avoid that toxicity accident. That's will serve as a reminder for all of us to be extra careful when we have pets at home.
caz2golden: Why is it when you look back on something you wish you had done things differently. Came across a road accident on way home from work tonight wished I had been more proactive!
Jul 4, 2018 21:42:58 GMT
scallywag: Was it a bad one , take it you couldnt help ?
Jul 5, 2018 7:16:27 GMT
Gillykat: Feeling excited.....going to visit my Ginger Ninja today *bounce*
Jul 5, 2018 10:21:27 GMT
caz2golden: Scallywag, I did help but wish I had followed my gut feeling and stopped people doing things! I think the motorcyclist will be ok! Guess I will never know though!
Jul 5, 2018 19:25:37 GMT
caz2golden: Forgot to say it was not a bad accident
Jul 5, 2018 19:29:27 GMT
scallywag: Will it be in the local paper or was it miles from home ?
Jul 5, 2018 22:00:01 GMT
caz2golden: It was not in local rag as far as I can tell.
Jul 8, 2018 16:46:51 GMT
caz2golden: Seems to be boiling hot today!
Jul 8, 2018 16:47:17 GMT
scallywag: Been boiling hot down / over here in the East for past 2 weeks
Jul 8, 2018 19:35:17 GMT
caz2golden: Sorry not on much my PC is sending me around the bend every time I use mouse it double clicks when I only single clicked! Part of me is hoping it is a windows issue that will get updated rather than just PC getting old and broken!
Jul 15, 2018 18:14:21 GMT
alfiemummy: It's most likely your mouse that needs replacing Caz - that's happened to me twice now and both times it's been fixed by getting a new mouse
Jul 15, 2018 21:59:44 GMT